After reading about Life Lists here and here, I decided to make one of my own. I’m in good company, as this google search shows. I worked on it yesterday morning until I had 100 items in the rough draft. I’m not quite sure how many that will make in the final, but here goes, in no particular order except that this is the way I thought of them. And because I loooooooove to talk, some of them will have commentary.
1. Have in my yard at least one of each of the following plants:
hydrangea, peony, lantana, butterfly bush, hibiscus, mandevilla, lilac, mimosa and that thing that blooms in little balls, I think it’s called a fuschia. These will most likely be in containers, because I have sand for dirt, and also because of an item that occurs further down on the list at #13.
hydrangea June 17, 2010 lantana July 21, 2010
2. Make 100 pretty things, and to do this over and over until I die or cannot see.
July 2010 1. BSJ 2. Insatiable Hat
August 2010 3. Country’s Hat 4.Wear it in Good Health Hat 5.Funny Furry Hat 6.That One’s Purple Stripey Hat 7.Shirley’s Hat 8. Sarah’s Clapotis 9. My mini-clapotis 10. My hat 11. That One’s keyhole scarf
100 500 fruits. I basically lifted this one right from Mighty Girl, only she said 1000. Except that I am not sure there really are 1,000 fruits, at least not that I can buy within a 100 mile radius. I suppose I could say 500 and just look for the ones she finds, right? Okay, 500.
A. 10 different apples
4. Read 1,000 books. Cookbooks and pattern books don’t count.
July 2010 1. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey by Audrey Niffenegger 2. Bad Mother by Ayelet Waldman 3. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks 4. Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch
August 2010 5. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
September 2010 6. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
October 2010 7. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield 8. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
November 2010 9. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
December 2010 10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 11. Drums of Autumn by Diana Gababldon
February 2011 12. Roanoke the Abandoned Colony by Karen Kupperman 13. Celia, A Slave by Melton McLaurin 14. At Fault by Kate Chopin
March and April 2011 15. Viking Tales by Jennie Hall 16.The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon 17. Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg 18. Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin
May 2011 19. A Study in Scarlet by Sit Arthur Conan Doyle 20.The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma 21. Apostles of Disunion by Charles Dew 22. Keeping Secrets by Debbie Sue Bass Williamson 23. Tin House Volume 12, Number 2
June through August 2011 24 and 25. Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty 26 through 30. Sign of Four, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, Hound of the Baskervilles, Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 31. Tin House #15 32. A Year by the Sea by Joan Anderson 33. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch 34. Pretty Girl in Crimson Rose by Sandy Balfour 35. Patches of Godlight by Jan Karon
5. Publish 3 magazine articles.
6. See the Grand Canyon in person.
7. Drive fast, really fast, like about 120, just one more time.
8. Take a bus trip across the US. Going in the truck would be an acceptable substitute, provided it’s coast to coast.
9. Go to Scotland.
10. Complete my genealogy, as far as I can using the resources I have without spending a buttload of money or joining ancestry.com.
11. Do five really scary things with That One, and by this I mean that if he suggests something, I purpose to say yes instead of “no, I’m afraid”. And I might suggest a couple, too. 11a: Snowboarding, but going skiiing first 11b: lean off a building 11c: spend the night in the morgue under the sanitarium, sleep optional
12. Catch a baby, and it has to be human to count.
13. Move to the farm.
14. Own, at one time, 40 pairs of kickass heels. No, I mean really kickass.
15. Own, at one time, 10 dress hats.
16. Own, at one time, 15 really cool handbags. I get to define “really cool”, but color, texture and style all come into play. As does my sheer love of it.
Own and agility train an Australian Shepherd. My Awesome Boyfriend is an Aussie mix, but I’m counting it!
18. Visit 15 vineyards.
19. Write a book, publishing doesn’t matter, just the writing.
20. Dye 100 beautiful yarns, that is create 100 appealing colorways, but I can repeat colorways I already developed that I still love.
21. Be financially able to quit my day job.
22. Get a degree of some sort.
23. Memorize 10 personally significant passages of scripture. I can start with Proverbs 31 and I Corinthians 13.
24. Sing the Star Spangled Banner in public. Not an “interpretation” like so many people do today, but actually sing it.
25. Learn to play a musical instrument.
26. Blow bubbles with DaBaby and Drama while it still fascinates them June 2010
27. Rebuild my kitchen, doing part of the work myself
28. Paint the inside of my house
29. Buy the fluffer phone June 2010
30. Go to the park and play by myself
31. Buy myself flowersFebruary 2011
32. Buy myself pearls
33. Go blonde, just once
34. Go silver/grey/white just once
35. Do the the thing I said I would do when pigs fly. This is the scariest item on my list.
36. Get laser treatments for my face
37. Subscribe to Cosmopolitan
38. Wear, in public, fishnet hose at least once. Also, seam up the backs.
39. Develop my film pictures
40. Print my digital pictures
41. Scrapbook my pictures
42. Put together my puzzles
43. Learn how to take an hour long bath again
44. Play chess with That One
45. Beat him
46. Teach all of my children to play chess and beat me
47. Get a poem published
48. Get a spiral piercing
49. Visit all 13 original colonies
50. Visit 5 foreign countries, which I have not visited before, not contiguous to the US
51. Spend a month in Europe
52. Spend six months not in the US
53. Spend a year not in the US
54. Relearn French, Italian and German, all by immersion
55. Learn to speak one of the languages That One speaks, that the kids don’t know, so we no longer have to communicate via military shorthand, even though that’s kind of fun
56. Learn to fire a handgun with reasonable accuracy
57. learn to shag, salsa and samba, charleston and jitterbug
58. Visit Ang. several times
59. Watch 500 movies
1. Monty Python’s Holy Grail
3. Secret of Roan Inish
4.Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Thief
5. Dr. Doolittle (original)
6. Forrest Gump
8. Eat, Pray, Love
9. Robin Hood
10. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
11. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
12. Breakfast at Tiffany’s
13. One True Thing
14. The Sound of Music
15. Being There
16. The NeverEnding Story
17. The NeverEnding Story 2
18. Her Majesty
19. Michelangelo: Self Portrait
20. Meeting David Wilson
21. Fame (new)
22. The Life Before Her Eyes
23. The Proposal
24. Beauty and the Briefcase
25. Heroes Shed No Tears
26. Little Monsters
27. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
28. Apocalypse Now
29. The Neverending Story 3
30. The Black Dahlia
31. The Sting
32. The Butterfly Effect
33. Last Airbender
34. Little Women
36. Language of the Enemy
37. Despicable Me
38. Never Ending Story 4
39. Final Cut
40. Alice In Wonderland
41. Dexter Season 1
42. Dexter Season 2
43. Single White Female
44. though 52. Jazz, episodes 1-9
45. Death of a Salesman
46. Fantastic Mr. Fox
47. The Pagemaster
48. Dirty Dancing
50. The Birdcage
51. Donnie Darko
52. The Room
53. 10 Things I Hate About You
54. O Brother, Where Art Thou
June through August 2011
55. Where the Wild Things Are
56. Under the Sea
57. One Hour Photo
58. Disc 1 Season 1 of Dog Whisperer
59. Disc 2 Season 1 of Dog Whisperer
60. Visit all 7 continents
61. Be able to trust people again
62. Have sex in the rain
63. And on a trampoline
64. And on the beach
65. Take a walk on the river front, holding hands and talking
66. Camp at 15 state or national parks or forests 1. Lake Wacammaw State Park September 2010
67. Go hunting–kill it, skin it, dress it, cook it, eat it
68. Go fishing alone, all day
69. Take a walk on the beach at night, marvel at the sound of the waves, the sight of the stars and the feel of the sand under my feet and stop to kiss under the pier
Go to a theme park Carowinds with my cousins September 2010
71. Find a mentor
72. Be a mentor
73. Find out why I don’t remember stuff
74. Camp with nothing but a sleeping bag
Learn to operate a gas grill without being afraid of it October 2010
76. Have my entire house clean at one time, just once, before the kids leave home
77. Get rid of the possessions I have that serve only to bring me pain or remind me of loss
78. Have chickens
79. And goats
80. And sheep
81. Spin yarn from my own animals
82. Make one fibery garment from shearing to wearing
83. Start and continue the tradition of a big ass annual party at my house, on or around June 3rd
84. Visit an adult store
by myself, to satisfy my curiosity, refuse to be embarrassed, and buy the biggest toy there just for the shock value. I’ve been told I need an escort for this one, so it won’t be alone. Apparently the toy stores here in the US aren’t as safe as the ones in Germany were 20 some years ago, when I was too embarrassed to look.
Knit hats for Shirley and Angie, because I said I would and they think I have forgottenFinished Shirley’s on the truck in July 2010 and Angie’s in August 2010
86. Tackle lace and win
87. Bowl a 300 game
Post this list on my blog, in it’s entirety with the exception of one item, despite those who will be scandalized by it or ridicule itDone June 16, 2010, and I even coded the one item
89. Make a collage frame of my kids and hang it in my bedroom
90. Go around the world
Get an eye exam and new glasses September 2010
Get a physical and address my health issues August 2010
93. Test drive a sports car with no intention of buying it
94. Tour a million dollar home with no intention of buying it
95. Lean my head into a milking cow one more time, just to breathe in the smell of her
96. Take a picture every day and then tell it’s story
97. Ride a horse…in Montana or some other wide open place that looks like a Marlboro commercial
Present those hats personallyNovember 2010
99. Have hair down to my waist
100. Perform at a club on amateur night
101. Go to a ballet
102. Go to an opera
103. Take 500 pictures of hands
12 pictures of 14 hands published on July 13, 2010
104. Build a firepit in my backyard
105. Scrapbook the life list
106. Work through a few Bible reading plans
107. Work through the history curriculum of Ambleside Online
108. Complete Year 7 of Ambleside Online
That One’s list for me: go to a male revue, go to a female impersonator show, shower under a waterfall, go snow sledding, zipline